Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Women I Come From

They're faces in photographs, heads all held high.
Not afraid to look life in the eye
They were women with back bone, keepers of the flame
With a spirit even hard times couldn't tame

 And I know that this same blood is in me
And I meet their gaze one by one
Eyes strong and clear, I still feel them near.

These are the women I come from
The faith that sustained them is bred in my bones
I know what I'm made of,
and where I belong
'Cause these are the women I come from

What did life bring her, what pain did she know
Stories the pictures didn't show
She's a lover of babies and a lover of God
With lessons and laughter in her songs

Did she dream better dreams for her children
As she prayed silent prayers in the night
"Lord make their way clear, and always be near."

 These are the women I come from
The faith that sustained them is bred in my bones
I know what I'm made of,
and where I belong
'Cause these are the women I come from

Survivors each one
They aren't always easy,
But they are loving and strong
The life force inside them
is still going on

These are the women I come from...

Everything feisty and intuitive in me comes from their vibrant spectrum of a self...

From each one I have learned a lesson or two.
To come from a long line of incredibly strong women is a blessing in itself.


Glo

No comments:

Post a Comment